Elon Musk’s Twitter sued over plans to lay off half of its workforce
Twitter is being sued by employees over Elon Musk’s plan to cut 3,700 jobs, or about half of the workforce, Bloomberg reports.
They filed a class action lawsuit Thursday in federal court in San Francisco, claiming the company’s decision to lay off staff is in violation of federal and California law.
The petition cited the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act which prohibits large companies from cutting jobs without at least 60 days notice.
In their lawsuit, they urged the court to issue an order asking Musk to obey the WARN Act and prevent the company from forcing employees to sign documents that could waive their right to participate in litigation. .
“We filed this complaint tonight to try to make sure that employees are aware that they should not waive their rights and that they have a means to enforce their rights,” said Shannon Liss-Riordan, l lawyer who filed the complaint on Thursday. an interview with Bloomberg.
Watch | Report: New Twitter owner Elon Musk plans to cut 3,700 jobs
Previously, the company shared a note to employees that he will lay off about 3,700 people and they will be informed by mail. The social media company has also asked employees not to visit the office as it is temporarily closing. The Mail said it will alert staff by 9:00 a.m. PT Friday (4:00 p.m. GMT) to the job cuts.
Read also | Twitter set to begin mass layoffs, staff to know employment status via email: report
“In an effort to put Twitter on a healthy path, we will go through the difficult process of reducing our global workforce on Friday,” said the letter seen by Reuters news agency.
The courier also said they wanted to notify “those affected as soon as possible”, so news will be communicated via email. He added: “If your job is not affected, you will receive a notification via your Twitter email.” On the other hand, if it has “affected” their job, they will be notified of the next steps via their personal email.
Read also | Image shows Twitter employee sleeping on office floor after Musk takeover
The microblogging site said its offices have been temporarily closed and all badge access will be suspended “to help ensure the safety of every employee as well as Twitter systems and customer data.”
(With agency contributions)
WATCH WION LIVE HERE
You can now write for wionews.com and be part of the community. Share your stories and opinions with us here.